Jabiru cold start kit
i have had a cold start kit fitted for quite some time on my J430 and all ok. This winter it has become a bit more difficult to start when below about 5 degrees.
Is there anyway to check that a good spark is being generated by the cold start as a normal mag check only checks the normal coil.
I'd say the easiest way would be to do the old lawn-mower trick:
1. Pull the HT leads off all the spark plugs so the engine won't start.
2. Remove the cold-start spark plug from cylinder
3. Hold cold-start spark plug against a conductive and earthed part of the engine (cylinder head is fine). Hold the plug by the rubber cap on the HT lead so you don't get zapped.
4. Turn the cold start coil on
5. Make sure the propeller is clear of everything, especially people.
6. Crank the engine. You should see a nice fat spark on that plug.